Alongside the main event book, I picked up two additional Secret Empire-related titles: Uprising #1 and Doctor Strange #21. I will also do a quick mini-review of Brave New World #1 simply because I have it already but I’ll save the big review for the June post. Let’s get started!
Secret Empire: Uprising #1
- The Champions, under Black Widow, have been tasked with infiltrating Hydra through its youth choir. After some auditions and one-to-one ethical adjustment, Nadia and Amadeus are chosen to infiltrate whilst the rest provide support.
- Things seem to be going well until the Freelancers are brought in to maintain discipline. Amadeus has had run-ins with them, raising concerns that they may recognise him.
- The Team on the outside manage to put together an image inducer. They manage to break in but it all goes south when Spider-man is spotted by a guard. All hell breaks loose as the Freelancers and Champions clash.
- Most of the team escape confused over the rejection of aid from the choir members. However, Amadeus doesn’t make it out. As his fellow choir members shout “Hail Hydra!” Amadeus joins them.
Not going to lie, the singing at the start provided so comic relief I didn’t know I needed. Not what I expected at all so well played Landy. Jokes aside, this issue had some really thought-provoking content. First, where in the world is Ms Marvel?! Seriously, I’m getting worried. The rejection of help by the choir members was really weird and I shared a similar reaction to Spider-man. That was definitely a curve ball in all this. The final scenes definitely raised some questions. Either Amadeus is going deep undercover or the events of the past year have affected the young hero more than he has let on. We shall have to see how that is resolved in later issues of Secret Empire and Champions.
Cassara‘s art style had a great level of detail that I always appreciate from comic book artists. It suited the book very well and I wouldn’t mind seeing more of it in future books.
- Story – 9/10
- Art – 8/10
- Overall – 8.5/10
Doctor Strange #21
- Doctor Strange and a rag-tag group of heroes are trying to keep the peace in Manhattan. Doctor Strange is fighting off foul beasts whilst Spider-Woman, Daredevil and Ben Urich investigate the displaced Sanctum Sanctorum.
- It is soon revealed that none other than Baron Mordo is running things in Manhattan. He traps Daredevil in a green sphere and throws Jess and Ben into the grasps of a monster.
- Doctor Strange casts a spell that might just break the dome. However, Jess and Ben’s monster problems get in the way and the spell hits the monster, aggravating it. The trio are caught in its grasp and all seems lost.
- However, a reckless limousine driver crashes into the monster, causing the trio to be released. The driver? Kingpin, a man known to collect his debts…
If you are looking for a look into things under the dome, Doctor Strange is honestly the best place to start. Hopeless has taken over writing duties and I get the feeling the good Doctor is in safe hands. It was great to see some other characters cameo and the weird team they have become promises to provide an interesting story. I only hope Daredevil is released soon, I’ve kind of fallen out of touch with him and would like to see his take on events.
Henrichson’s art style is already one of my favourites and this is my first time seeing it. It has such a wonderful look to it that is honestly enchanting. The colours used are fab and I can’t wait to see more of it next issue.
- Story – 9/10
- Art – 10/10
- Overall – 9.5/10
Secret Empire: Brave New World #1
This mini-series is definitely worth checking out if you enjoy seeing lesser known characters given a platform. The main Invaders story looks promising and is definitely one I’m looking forward to following. Giant-man’s story, though short, was empowering. It showed that you don’t have to be a hero to say no, but it sure does help when you can grow to the size of a building. Gwenpool’s story was my least favourite but that doesn’t mean it was rubbish. I enjoyed the slightly more comical approach to it all. I will release a proper review next month but I think this is worth checking out if you want a wider scope of heroes reacting to the situation.
May offered up some pretty great extra content in my opinion. A couple of my current series appear to be tying in to Secret Empire in the coming months which is pretty great. It will be interesting to see how my favourites react to it all. If you have any thoughts or questions please feel free to leave them in the comments.